making a space themed game with it rn, will release soon!
A downloadable toolkit
Welcome to Carta!
Think of this as a basic set of rules that you can use as a framework to build a solo TTRPG. We supply the rules and you supply the ideas!
Carta games, like our Into the Glacier and Apex Predator, are exploration games, but we're curious to see what else they can be! If you make a game using this system, please link it in the comments below or tag @CatlingGun on twitter so we can see what you've made!
The base idea is that players lay cards out in a grid , and then turn them over one at a time, exploring prompts and mechanics as they do. The game is a sort of boardgame / storygame hybrid, where players explore journaling prompts by physically moving their marker from card to card and looking up the results. It can have a definite goal, making it more boardgame-like, or it can be more nebulous and story-focused.
Carta was inspired by:
- The Wretched and Alone SRD by Matt Sanders & Chris Bissette
- The Estate of Baron Archambaud, an Ingrate, by Galazor
- Board games like Zombies! and Betrayal at House on the Hill
This SRD was built for stories about solitary discovery. GMless Multiplayer rules can definitely be added, but the default ruleset is a single-player one. You might want to tell stories about:
- Exploring a classic-style dungeon in search of treasure
- Wandering around a city and seeing the sights
- Being pursued through a haunted mansion
- Searching an alien planet for survivors
- Just playing Monster Hunter, I guess. That's what I did.
Click download now to get access to the following files:
- Carta Jam is live!Mar 02, 2021
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
This is an amazing SRD and it allows to boost your creativity to make something your own!
A really solid SRD with a great system that helped me make a game I'm really proud of! Give it a look and make your own super cool Carta game!